Thursday, December 11, 2008

Blog-Hopping: An Off-Color Adventure

We've all done this: you get on the Internet with the simple intention of checking your email, and an hour later you find yourself about twenty clicks away looking at a YouTube movie of a cat playing the piano. Or something else much more disturbing, like a piano playing a cat.

This is the story of what I was doing last night. My intentions were simple enough--just five minutes to check on a blog or two I haven't been to in awhile--then I was going to go do the dishes, like I was supposed to've done right after dinner.

Anyway, Millie posted this fabulous Eric Snider link where he mocks Twilight*. Absolutely great stuff. Very funny. It had been awhile since I've read any Eric Snider, so I spent a few minutes poking around his blog, and found a link where a few people were mocking snippets from "Police Beat" in the Daily Universe. (If any of you are graduates of BYU and remember the Daily Universe, this may bring back fond memories.) I greatly enjoyed reading it, but it does start to get a little off-color. (I was not offended, but that doesn't mean much. My favorite bit by far was "Long Juan Silver." Just thinking about it right now is making me choke a little.)

Then I started snooping around that blog, and I found this. And laughed. (By now, my sides are hurting.) After you've clicked on that link, click here for some pictures of the...er...completed recipe. Oh, heavens.

And from there, I found yet another link to here (this one has its own pictures). Worse and worse, but I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard.

And then I went to bed. Right after I hurriedly scrubbed dishes and threw them in the dishwasher, that is.

And now I'd better post this and run off to the kitchen, because I'm already a half hour late starting dinner. (How does that happen? Blasted Internet. Wait--maybe I should just look on ebay for just a minute and see if anyone happens to be selling some self-discipline...)

*For you Twilight fanatics: Elastic posted something awhile back, too, which I enjoyed very much as well: a mock trailer for Twilight. If you haven't seen it yet, now is the time.

15 comments:

Elizabeth-W said...

Glad to know you're alive and well, with raunchy humor still firmly, erectly intact.

Millie said...

((((((WYNNE))))))) You're here!!!!

And I see my name! You just made my morning. :) I love Eric Snider. He's my new reason for living (behind Edward, of course).

Millie said...

Steve once banned me from the internet when I suggested that James Faust called Mary Kate Olson when he found the prophet dead.

Oh my holy living crap. I'd be laughing if I weren't watching for lightning...

Melissa said...

Let's see... I got on the computer at 8:00 this morning to work on some photo collages for a fun new holiday tradition (it will be fun, no matter WHAT my family says). Then I checked email, tried to balance the budget (just my own... I'm not corrupt enough to balance the government spending), wrote a blog post and now I'm reading. It's almost noon. FOUR HOURS. Sigh.
I did read the Eric Snider thing and I have seen the mock movie of Twilight... made me laugh.

Melissa said...

I'm selling my Twilight books on ebay! Two of them are paperback and two are hardcover... the bid is already up to $36! If it goes much higher then I will recoup all the money I spent on them in the first place... which will make my hubby very happy.

Jean Knee said...

such colorful desserts!

Super Happy Girl said...

I find that candle stick salad offensive. Burn it! Burn it with fire!!!!

Super Happy Girl said...

"We've all done this" That has never happened to me. I find you comment and assumption offensive.

Marie said...

This here is why I don't have internet at home. Because the Internet is full of funny people and if I take the time to meet them all I will never leave my house....and I'm already a bit of a hermit....okay, more than a bit. But even this recluse has standards, and I will NOT be making the Candlestick Salad, even if the voices tell me to. It would indeed look like a venereal disease (as one of the commentors pointed out). Perhaps this could serve as a scare tactic for the deacons in place of the "nails in the board" object lesson that has fallen out of favor?

I love Police Beat. I miss it. I also miss living with my friend Suzanne who worked for Provo PD and had HILARIOUS stories about the locals. Like the BYU guy who called Provo PD concerned about a wild duck that "looked lost" and wanted the police to come get it and take it home.

And I'm glad you're back. I hope it sticks, because the world is a darker place without your blog.

S said...

At what occasion would one serve this candlestick dessert? So funny page 36! I agree with this blog world sucking up my days. I have to ground myself from it from time to time. And I do not even post often, just lurk:)

Millie said...

It's me, the holiday armadillo!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm truly horrified by that salad- but not so horrified that I wouldn't make and serve it to guests at a party, just to see them squirm. Oh, and if anyone asks, I'll tell them I got the idea from you! ^_^

I think I heard Santa dropping a lump of coal in my stocking just now.

Carrot Jello said...

Ah Wynne, you always make me laugh. Always.

Anonymous said...

Anon again. I'm a different anon than the other anon. I'm the one who is not a NON, but anon. Now that is cleared up, I'd like to thank you for helping me to waste time. I laughed hard. I used to love the police beat. The funniest one was the guy who jumped on the trail and smoked.

Anonymous said...

Oh nevermind. Not nevermind for thanking you for the laugh, but for the explanation. I never left a comment on your blog before. I left a comment on your friend Marie's blog who is a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend. Yeah, I wasted a lot of time today. I'll be on my way now.