Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Mayday! Mayday!*

*This post was intended for the first of May, but since I was not bloggin' at that time, I missed the day. I would like you, dear reader, to ignore the fact that it is no longer May 1st, and pretend that I actually got a post up in a timely manner. Y'know, for a change.

Jeff and I were married on May 1st NINE years ago. That's right. Nine years ago. I thought in order to celebrate the day, I would share some of my favorite wedding photos with you! That's right! Get ready for some mushy cheese, folks. Weddin' pictures ahead!

This one is a favorite because it captures the mood of the day perfectly. It was taken at the end of a very long day, and yet, you can still see how happy we are! Look, we're almost glowing!

(Actually, I think Jeff may be...what is that look? Ah, yes, exasperated! As in, please don't take another picture of us. As for me, I don't think I'm conscious any longer. I think I may even be drooling.) Oh well. On to the next:

At the reception in Jeff's home town, we had a harpist. Isn't that nice? Yeah. I can still hear the strains of "My Heart Will Go On**" strummed on the harp, echoing in the empty corners of my brain (behind where I keep the boxes labeled Forget About This as Soon as Possible and Nightmares with Dust Bunnies).

Unfortunately, the photo-guy was obsessed with the harp. He just thought it soooo picturesque. He made me pose with it, several times. However, my most favoritest shot of the "Harp Series" was this candid moment that he caught of bride and groom:

The harp and harpist just make the picture, don't they?

And of course, there is always the decor. Most wedding decor is fairly boring and commonplace: flowers and greenery and white fabric and pearls, etc. But I had something truly unique. My mom was entirely in charge of the reception in my hometown, and here is her creative masterpiece of the evening:

Your eyes are not deceiving you. That is, indeed, a tinfoil-swan-watermelon-fruit-basket. Betcha didn't have one of those at your wedding. Try not to be too jealous.

Here are things I would have liked to have pictures of, but sadly, didn't get a shot of, to my deep and everlasting regret:

  • The papier-mache butterflies that flocked all over centerpieces and anywhere else my mom could find a place for them to land.
  • A picture of the cake tipping. (Apparently, the poor thing was slowly sagging on one side, quite like the leaning tower of Pisa. This amused my uncle to no end. He sat there and watched its progress with great delight, and was terribly disappointed that we cut it before it collapsed.)
  • Brother and cousin sneakin' a doobie in the church parking lot, and then wearing sunglasses to hide the bloodshot eyes.
Good times, good times.

At least the best part of that day I get to see every day. And it doesn't hurt to look at him, either.

I love you, Punk-a-saur. Happy nine years of us, and thanks for not running out the door when my crazy comes on.

**What kind of song is that to play at a wedding, I ask you? "My Heart Will Go On?" We're only just married, but don't worry, my heart will survive this tragic separation? Ah, Celine Dijon, no doubt your career will go on and on and on to my utter dismay.
There was some debate as to whether it was a tinfoil duck head attached to that watermelon basket, and there was even one small faction that thought it was a platypus, but my mother firmly affirmed it was a swan, thankyouverymuch.

25 comments:

Melissa said...

First of all - you are a beautiful couple!! Congrats on nine years!
So, were you supposed to be the focus in the picture with the harp? Maybe your photog had a thing for the harpist, eh?
The swan... well, there simply aren't words for the swan. :)

Shar said...

I think that you just won for best post of the year. Ever.

Happy anniversary! That's trav's birthday too, so I shall never forget now. :)

omar said...

Happy belated anniversary!

That first picture might be the best wedding picture I've ever seen - which is hard to believe, because there's no harp in it.

Elizabeth-W said...

Hey! Now I know what YOU look like, too!

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! Those are great pics!

Super Happy Girl said...

YAY!! Happy Anniversary days and days ago!
You guys are so beautiful (you) and handosme (him). GOSH!

I'd have said that's Nessie, but whatever, it's your picture :)

Carrot Jello said...

AT least she didn't carve this...
http://image63.webshots.com/463/2/99/42/2001299420027062925mkHEFg_fs.jpg
into the watermelon.
THAT would have been embarassing.
This is the best wedding post I have EVER read.

Jennifer B. said...

Those pictures were PRICELESS! I have to say the tinfoil swan made me laugh so hard it hurt. Thanks for sharing. That was hysterical!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Awwww, Wynne, you guys are so adorable!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Papi and I had zero harpists at our wedding.....but we had plenty of harpies!

Jean Knee said...

oh Wynee, that was sooo obviously a swan, and yes the harpidt made thar picture. Made it I tell you



cute hub by the way

Jean Knee said...

I spelled your name wrong, sorry

Anonymous said...

Great post. I have to know, though- did you mush cake on each others' faces after you cut the leaning cake of pisa?

Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary earlier this month! You guys look great! And I loved ALL of the photos!

BLUEYEDBOYS said...

LOVE IT! The swan is priceless, I am still laughing, even after reading the rest of your post and all the comments. I would normally suspect you of finding a hilarious photo somewhere on the world wide web and claiming it as your own but somehow I believe! The harpist gave me a good chuckle too, my husband was so distracted from his own computering that he got to enjoy the photos too! Thanks :) Oh and congrats.

Brian said...

Wynne I love your posts. You are such a talented writer. Congrats on 9 years.

Alice said...

That harpist....*ROFL*....

And the tin foil swan...OMG! That is great stuff!

Annie Oldham said...

Happy anniversary! I remember the stories of the tinfoil watermelon swan. I'm glad to finally see a picture of it.

wynne said...

How am I ever supposed to keep up with all of you? Where have all of you come from? (Alice--welcome.)

And CARROT! *sob* I cannot get the link to work!

Thanks for all the well-wishin', folks!

wynne said...

eliz W--don't count on it. After all, these pictures were taken NINE YEARS AGO. Nowadays, I look more like this, and Jeff looks more like this.

wynne said...

dorkelina--yes. He...stuffed it up my nose, actually. So I can say--YES, I've SNORTED CAKE!

What? Wrong vowel? Oh well--I am LDS, after all.

Marie said...

Do you think your mom would agree to organize my wedding? Maybe I could request a tinfoil platypus? Laughs are much better souvenirs than classy wedding photos. That harpist is fantastic and knowing that she was playing bad Celine Dion makes it just about the best thing ever.

Sounds like your wedding was a little preview of your married life -- making laughs out of lunacy. You two make a great (and very handsome) couple. Happy 9th anniversary!

wynne said...

I'm sure my mother would LOVE to decorate for your wedding! However, there is one thing you need to know: she doesn't do orders. In other words, you can ask her for a tinfoil platypus, but you'll never end up with a tinfoil platypus. You'll end up with whatever her brain gives her in her moment of genius: a tank made out of chocolate? a ball of string as the centerpiece? You never know.

janeen said...

I couldn't help but laugh. I love the foil swan! Oh to look back at wedding pictures, priceless pure comedy!

Unknown said...

hi wynne! your picture of you sticking your tongue out was hilarious. not something you see everyday when someone is showing their anniv. pics. you are a trip. congrats on hitting another year together :) kathleen

PS. and i still use that grateful notebook you sent me. in fact, it is right here next to my computer right now. i thumb through it and am reminded of happy moments when i am blue. and when i am pink, i don't need to look inside it. hehe. hope you caught up with what you needed to :)