Thursday, July 31, 2008

Adieu, Centralia! (Part deux)

By now, we are driving and on our way to Spokane. I am in the car with Jake. Jeff is in the car with two cats. (Which car would you rather be in? Neither? That is the correct guess! Jasper meows the WHOLE WAY non-stop and we don't know what Chloe will do, but Jake is fine as long as you keep him supplied with movies, toys, books, and food while you drive.)

Somewhere on the road about now, I'm going to get misty-eyed because I am leaving behind GREEN. Lots of it. Now, don't get me wrongSpokane is a beautiful city with plenty of trees, but I know there are a few things it won't have...like the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus.


So now, a sentimental ode (in the spirit of my son's favorite bedtime-story author) to the things we're leaving behind:


Goodbye, hostas and ferns.



Goodbye, backyard burns.



Goodbye, my dearest sweet Floyd*,
and goodbye to the squirrels who drove you into the void...




Goodbye, moss.



Goodbye, hoss.



Goodbye, wee tree frogs.



Goodbye, misty fall fogs.



Goodbye, bird-eaten cherries.



Goodbye, dandelion-filled prairies.



Goodbye, uh, whatever this is...?



Goodbye forever, lawyering biz.



Goodbye, goodbye to flowers profuse!



(Man, am I sick of reading Dr. Seuss!**)

*A Floyd updateI actually went back to where I found him originally, and he was no longer there! No idea what happened to him, but this time I suspect a young, love-struck black bear who coerced a deer and a marmot into re-building and hotwiring Floyd so the young bear could impress a certain young lady bear by cruising by her cave...I'm just sad I never got to plant flowers on Floyd's hood before he left...
**This post is proof that I've had to read waaaaaaay to much of him lately. You read Dr. Seuss and, like a catchy and horrible song overplayed on the radio, you can't get the rhymes out of your head. Stupid Sneeches. Stupid Horton. Stuuuupid Cat. *sigh*

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a fun post to say goodbye! I missed Floyd the first time! That is awesome!

Super Happy Girl said...

:'(
This post is so sad
WAAAA.

Super Happy Girl said...

I am scared of the tree octopus!

Super Happy Girl said...

I'll send you some moss so you can grow your own!!

Unknown said...

hi wynne ~
hope the move and new transition goes so well for you and your family.

best to you,
kathleen :)

Meghan said...

Goodbye Centralia-I'll miss Wynne's posts about you.
I hope you like Spokane Wynne.

Marie said...

That is so touching. Not as touching as being hugged by a tree octopus, but still very touching. You are definitely the next Seuss, and I'm not talking the cheesy rhymes -- more the delightful bizarrity. I'm 100% sure you're correct about Floyd's fate. There's really no other possible explanation.

I hope you like your new home! Post pictures soon!

ME said...

Hi Wynne! I can't believe your son is 4 - that means I haven't seen in almost 4 years. Time flies. I hope all is well & that you don't mind if I check up on you! Good luck with your move.
- Melanie

Millie said...

I would miss that green if I had to move away from it.

That probably doesn't help you.

:)

Jean Knee said...

uhhh, Goodnight Moon is by Margaret Wise Brown.

I think Dr.Seuss jacked that rhymey stuff off her

Jean Knee said...

now that I'm done being an asswipe:

That ode was fabulous. That car was teh awesome. I wish you much luck in yer new place.

Anonymous said...

Wow, who told you they didn't have plants in Spokane!?

You drive up Division to the Y and head out Highway 2 toward Newport, and you are an hour from fully fern-ished forests with moss, fields with hoss and plenty of flowers. Promise. ^_^ Would I steer you wrong?

(I happen to know that Floyd's relatives are living wild and free up there too. But no Octopi. Ugh!!)

Suburban Chatterbox said...

Uh oh Wynne. Looks like Sarah is starting to become a bona fide tree hugger. She has a map of the greenery in the north west in her head. Come back to the meat side!!!!


How is the trip so far, Wynne dear?

Melissa said...

It is a beautiful area up there! But, there are some neat things in the Spokane area too...
Where can I get a tree octopus? I think I want one... do you think it would do well in a palm tree?

Millie said...

Are you there yet?

Are you there yet?

Are you there yet?

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I lived in Spokane for three months once. It was luverly. Good luck!

Super Happy Girl said...

I see you all over Teh Internets being firstity first and leaving fabulous comments everywhere!

I SEE YOU!!!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

And if you tilted your head just right on many an Oregonian night you would have heard the wind whispering........."Crap. I miss Wynne. Why didn't she come to this blog party?!!?"

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I was astonished to find that not every single blog party participant reads your blog. SHOCKED, I tell you!

I had to fill them in on the aluminum foil swans and wedding harp players named Bertha.

VW said...

I have ferns, hostas and moss in my yard - in the shade, where the sprinklers hit regularly. Spokane is colder than Seattle, which limits our plant palette, but until our aquifer runs dry we have tons of plant choices as long as we turn on the sprinklers regularly.