Sunday, November 16, 2008

Our Primary Presentation Was Today

Yup. It sure was. This was my son's first time participating. Well, "participating" doesn't seem to be the right word. He did go up. Eventually. After I asked him, "Do you want to walk up, or do you want me to carry you?" (I carried him up there.) And once he was up there, I had to stay nearby to keep him from bolting. He didn't sing. He sat when he was supposed to stand, and stood when he was supposed to sit, and he really really worked on giving the crustiest looks possible while he pouted during the songs. He had one line, something like: "I will follow Jesus because I love Him," which he mumbled as grouchily as he possibly could into the microphone. It was, of course, completely unintelligible. A little bit later, he found that one of his fingernails was coming off (he's a nail picker and can't leave them alone). It just happened to be his middle finger. So he said, as is his habit, "Mom, I got a fingernail goin' on!" and waved his finger in the air to show me--and flipped off the entire congregation. I sneaked a little closer and removed the fingernail. Five minutes and some picking later, he did it again. Same finger, same obscenity. And then it was over. I'm just happy he went up there and participated at all! And I just hope that his participation in today's program made some people's sacrament meeting just a little more entertaining.

16 comments:

Super Happy Girl said...

Some of us live for stuff like that.
Seems like Little Jake didn't dissapoint!

Super Happy Girl said...

Do you know how long it has been since I was first?
Forever.

This might turn out to be my lucky day.

Super Happy Girl said...

Last year during the presentation, one boy threw up.
Yeah.
I spent the rest of the time trying to think of something else (as I know the boy that got most of it did too) so I'd not start a chain reaction like in "Stand by me."

See? You should be glad.

Elizabeth-W said...

Oh my gosh! That is the funniest story I've heard in a very long time!
"I've got a fingernail goin' on!"

Melissa said...

Ah... the primary program. I have a friend who hopes that all primary programs will be available to rent in heaven. Because every last one of them would be so veeeeeery entertaining! :)
Ours was yesterday too. One of the kids was doing taekwando on the stage and jazz hands. My litte girl followed him all over the stage saying, "Shhhhh! Be quiet! Sit down!" Ah... the irony!

Marie said...

But it wouldn't have been half as fun if you had one of those boring teacher's-pet kids, like I was. Booooring.

I'm sorry if it stressed you out at all, but I do think if anyone in the congregation was paying much attention to Jake (rather than to their own kid), that they were entertained rather than judgmental. Kids are the only ones allowed to do stuff like that in Sacrament Meeting, so if they choose to be all obedient all the time -- well, it's just sad for the rest of us.

Meghan said...

Still miss you guys. Tyler has fingernails goin' on too. He likes to eat them. Even his toenails. Yuck.

Jennifer B. said...

Wynne, I love your life. Thanks for sharing it.

Jamie said...

Yea! That's great! :) Nathan actually went up for our program, too, and that was the first time he's gone up all year. I pawned him off to his friend and that got him to actually go up. He was right to the left of the microphone. . . yawning and leaning on his arm looking totally bored and tired. He informed me before hand that he was not going to say his line. That was fine with me. . . I was so happy that he went up at all!

Kristine said...

I would have paid a lot to see Jake's performance. I miss that kid.

Hot Pocket Fashionista said...

We had the best Primnary Program ever this year!!!

Instead of sobbing through the whole thing because of cute kids reaching out to my very tender soul, I laughed the whole way through.

From hammy kids eating the microphone when they talked to messed up lines to kids singing totally weird, it was the greatest show from start to finish.

Hot Pocket Fashionista said...

Last year my youngest son took the opportunity to "Walk Like An Egyptian" while on stage. He also added random "BOOM BOOM BOOM" tuba noises to various Children's Songbook hymns.

Suburban Chatterbox said...

AWESOME..your kid totally rocks.

Jean Knee said...

flipped off the whole congregation, huh


way to go kid

Millie said...

Things really took a turn for the worse when the organist started playing "Inna Godda Da-Vida" and the bishop jumped off the pulpit and crowd-surfed the congregation.

Look what your kid did.

Super Happy Girl said...

chupacabra!!!!!!