Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Enrich THIS

My current church calling is Enrichment Leader. This is one of life's many proofs that, indeed, Heavenly Father has a sense of humor. Enrichment is one of those things I'd never bother going to above once a yearif that'cause honest to heaven, I'd much rather stay at home and read a book. So how did I end up here?

I can just hear the Angels Responsible for Matching Individuals to Incompatible Callings plotting the whole thing:

Angel 1: "So, who should we get to do Enrichment in this ward?"
Angel 2: "How 'bout that wynne-thing?"
(look at each other and burst into laughter)
Angel 1: (gasping for breath) No, no seriously. Who?
Angel 2: The wynne-thing. Honestly.
(another outbreak of laughter so severe it shakes some snow out of the clouds onto the Sahara de
sert)
Angel 1: Oh, oh! (holding sides) Oh, that's good. (Wipes away a tear) Sure, why not?
Angel 2: Yeah. It'll be fun to watch.

It's just not...my thing. But I do it because I was asked. Why isn't it my thing? If I could simply have a class or a dinner, it would be fine. But instead, it must be an Event. It must have a Theme, a Clever Title, a Program, a Color Scheme, and Coordinated Refreshments. Way over my head.

Luckily, the other women seem to recognize my ineptness at All Things Cute and take matters into their own capable hands. I just get swept along in the tide of creativity, perfectionism, and over-the-topishness, and end up in some pretty strange situations some nights, wonderingnow, how did I get here? Where did all these people come from? Why am I draped in loose fabric, holding a baby doll, with a spotlight shining in my eyes*? What the crap is going on?

Our last Enrichment Night back in March was "Misson Possible: Technology Today!" (where, and I kid you not, we taught the ladies of the ward how to use some of the expensive technology that they insist on buying without having the slightest idea of how to use it.) That particular night, I found myself in a trenchcoat and sunglasses dancing** in a strobe light with Gladys Knight to the theme song from "Mission Impossible." (Though it wasn’t just Gladys—it was most of the Enrichment Committee. Gladys just happens to be one of the committee members.)

Hmm.

Thank goodness there are only four Enrichment nights a year.

*That's what they made me do for Christmas. They made me sing, too.

**Can’t really consider what I was doing “dancing.” The strobe light was very disorienting, and I’m not exactly a dancer, so I have no idea what really happened that night. The good news is: 1) I didn't injure myself; 2) I didn't injure anyone else, either—that I know of; 3) I think the lighting disoriented the audience as much as it did the performers, and so I am safe from judgment.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I almost went blind from those strobe lights. In fact I still have nightmares from watching the others practice that dance earlier in the day. They would open their trench coats like they were flashing me.

And I also just have to say I am glad that the over-the-top-ness has some-what lessened in YWs. I know what you are going through. When you need to vent (because you will) call me. I will have lots of empathy and chocolate for you.

Marie said...

Way to document church calling over-the-topness in a funnier and yet less rude way than I did on my blog last month.

We had a very nice "hurrah for Relief Society" enrichment that I attended on Saturday that was very well done and not at all stupid, and yet I still experienced what you described -- waking up in the middle of an embarrassing performance and wondering how I got there. I think it's being with just the sistahs -- away go my inhibitions. Sometimes good, and sometimes not.

I wanna dance with Gladys Knight. If you're moving anyway, maybe I should take your place...

wynne said...

marie--I don't think you were rude at all. Matter of fact, I don't think you've ever been rude in your life. And funnier? Please.

Um--what were you performing, anyway? A skit? Dance number? Mime? Do tell.

kristine--thanks for the sympathy, and for the verification that indeed, no one could see me. How did Alessia like the strobe lights, by the way?

Anonymous said...

hi wynne: oh, i am laughing reading your post. i loved how you said the one angel wiped away a tear of laughter. and your description of the strob singing and the warning label at the end was soooo funny. and your post title! wow, that sooo made me want to read this post. you are too funny.

next time i go to enrichment night in my ward, i might bust out laughing at the wrong moment when i recollect your post about it.

thanks for making me laugh tonight :)

Colleen said...

Loved the hysterical angels. Too funny. And a little too familiar, as hysterical laughing was my mom's reaction to a phone call a few months ago telling her I was our new enrichment leader. Yeah.

Your ward sounds way more extravagant than mine. Now I'm going to be all worried on Tuesday when our enrichment (my first) doesn't have any dancing or strobe lights. Or a clever title, for that matter.