Saturday, April 28, 2007

"Lazy Obsequious Latrine?" ...huh?

There is a first time for everyone:

That first defining moment when you hear it for the first time—that phrase that will alter your life forever. And yet, because it is the first time, you have no idea what in the nine-levels-of-hell it means.

Now, I suppose that for each person, it could be a different phrase. For me, it wasn't a phrase, it was an initialism, and it wasn't spoken, it was written. Well, okay, typed.

Here is the story:

I was at work (this was years ago when I still did that sort of thing) and my boss (one of five) was instant messaging me (and that right there is the topic for awholenother post: Why IM? You're just down the hall. Is it that hard to walk down to my office? And how many bosses does one girl need, anyway?), and it popped right up on the screen:

LOL!

What the hell?* Is this some kind of code? Was I supposed to understand what he meant? What did these letters have to do with documentation, the subject we were discussing? I decided I needed to investigate.

Me: What is "LOL"?
Him: serious? LOL!

This is frustrating.

Me: No, really. I have no idea. Am I supposed to know what it means? 'Cause I don't.
Him: what do you think it means
Me: It's code, obviously. Perhaps..."lots of luck?"
Him: almost
Me: I got it. "Lick old lollipops." Or "lay off lasagna," "lance obese lepers," "lizard on lunchbreak"?

The manager was cruel. He let me go on. And on.

Me: "left-over laundry," "lion off'd [the] lamb," "leap of lethargy?"
Me: "lots of lace," "lactation-obsessed lady," "light of leprosy?"
Me: "lounge on, lizard," "llama oil lacquer," "loony, occult lima-bean?"

Oh, the possibilities are endless. Then he typed it a few more times, to torture me, or to relieve his feelings. "LOL." Hmph. I decided that I should be able to make up my own, and I thought at him, but did not type at him, "RIHMB.**" Instead, I typed:

Me: "launch overt labradors?" C'mon. I'm all out. What is it?

He finally told me. Since that time, I have learned that all over the world, people are laughing loudly while staring at their computer screens. Computers are hilarious, aren't they? (I mean, look at the silly boxy things! LOL!)

And since that time, I'm learning something new every day. "SAHM" and "MIL" are two recent acquirements. (They mean, respectively, "sleeping against hot milk" and "militant immigrant leviathan.") Most initialisms, I admit, I have no idea what they mean. That's okay, because I found this.

But beware—I also found this***. (You'll never look at punctuation the same way again.)

*I have a problem, I admit, of not really believing this is a true-and-living swear word. Many people have tried to convince me otherwise, but please. It is a state of being, not a swear. I guess what I should really say is other people have a problem with me not believing this is a swear word. Very sorry if you are one of these people. (Perhaps you will be the one to get me to see the light and repent of my evil ways?)
**Rot In Hell, Miserable Bastage. (See? No problem with "hell," but I do shy away from "bast**d." What sort of messed-up hypocrite am I?)
***I have to apologize for my uncontrolled swearing on the blog today. And if it offended you, I seriously suggest you not look up this link. But let me apologize all around—
sorry, sorry, sorry—just in case you were offended by anything at all. Especially the "llama oil lacquer." I know I overstepped my bounds on that one.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

10 pushups for you for swearing! :)

i loved your answer for MIL - mother in law.

happy day :) lol!! kathleen

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I am severely acronym impaired. Won't you please send me money so that I may search for a cure?

Seriously, it took me years to learn Mormon lingo, and once I got that down, computer speak was thrust upon me. Mine is one of the select few "Blogs, blogs on the range, where the anti-socials and fat mommies play. And seldom is heard an acronymed words, and this Infidel is happy all daaaaaayyyyy.............."

I thought about just declaring my blog, The Smiling Infidel, an acronym free zone, but I'm still working on the LMAO diet plan for my jiggly butt.

Anonymous said...

Wierd up - flannel witch of the ducks. Couldn't help seeing your typings here - I thought you had perhaps evaporated into Spinkle dust. Happy to see you happy.

Marie said...

I LOVE "lounge on, lizard." I will now be LOL-ing whenever someone types LOL.

I think it's a fun brainwarming exercise to try to figure out the new cyber-speak abbreviations that pop up like pimples on the younger set, but I don't use them much myself -- for one thing I'm a fast typist and as an English snob I like seeing the whole word there. Also, using too many of those acronyms feels like the blog equivalent of wearing one of those "Daddy's Little Princess" glitter t-shirts. There's a certain window of time in which you can do such things without seeming like an aged wannabe, and that window has closed for me. I don't mind at all.

One of my online pseudonyms comes from a similar game I played with an abbreviation. I had been writing my aunt about a guy I was smit with at work. One day as I was typing an email to her, he walked over to chat as I sat in front of a computer screen peppered with his name. He got a good long look at it and then suppressed a smile. It was so humiliating. When she heard about this, my aunt suggested coming up with a code name for him. I told he we could just call him "PC" and made it a point to clarify that this stood for "Prince Charming" and not "personal computer" nor "politically correct" nor "platypus casserole." She loved "platypus casserole" so much that she started calling him The Platypus. Then, when he exited my life, *I* became the Platypus and chose platypuscasserole as one of my email addresses. What a happy story, eh? Who needs a hot man when you've got hilarity in your life? And I have to say, it was curious how calling him The Platypus took the edge off his allure. To see how this works, try referring to Daniel Day-Lewis as "Snoogie Buns" for awhile. He's not quite so amazing anymore, is he?

So these 5 bosses -- I assume this was Waterford? And they would have been Vicki, Joanne, Ben, and...?

PS "Bastard" is one of my favorite words and I remember being sorely disappointed when I learned that it was a bad word. "Bastage" isn't a bad substitute, but I"m kind of a bastard purist. :)

Anonymous said...

john just told me yesterday what bff meant.

it seems that cyber space isn't the only place that uses initialism just look at those crazy mormons! when i moved out west i had to learn a whole new language including words that weren't really swear words but really were at the same time.

Sally Anne said...

I feel tremendous waves of guilt washing over me now for all the swearing I do on my blog (and in front of my babies, sometimes, entirely by accident of course). I can't help it, it's the Army's fault. I learned the most awfulest phrasings there... they also taught me so many acronyms my brain started to push out old knowledge.

wynne said...

kathleen--
I should have dedicated this posting to you, actually. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you coming here and never hesitating to L(achrymose) O(yster) L(evitating).

So, I officially dedicate this post to grateful, thusly:
For Kathleen--
She knows what it means and isn't afraid to use it.

wynne said...

elasticwaistbandlady (or EWBL) --

wow. She came to my blog! I am forever in awe. Please come back some more, and explain LMAO.
(leftovers [for] mothers and others?
lunch makes annie obese?
lettuce, mayo, and office?
lungfish metropolis against obesity?)

wynne said...

anon.--
do I...know you? (squints at mysterious bearded figure in trenchcoat and furry fez)

And, uh, if you were really going for, you know, that whole incognito-type thing, you should've left the fez at home.

wynne said...

marie--

Thank you for "platypus casserole." I can't thank you enough.

And...yes, Waterford. You really want to know all five?
1. Vicki, yes.
2. Joanne, no. This was after Kathy became our DH (dead head)--Joanne was already Iowa-bound.
3. Benj, no. I hadn't thought to include him because I didn't think of him so much as a manager as a novelty item--like a bobble-head doll or key-chain calculator. Rather, it was Owen, the PM (pajama-master) of SM (sadistic monkeywranglers) that I had the typed conversation with.
4. Matt L. was boss #4 ever since I got sucked into the BS (no need to define this one, I think) vortex.
5. Gregg S. (Huh?) Yeah, I know. I was NOT in the programming department--at least I didn't think so--but as soon as he started coming to the SM (sadistic monkeywranglers again) team meetings, I became answerable to that bastage.

There. Aren't you sorry you asked?

wynne said...

kristine--
oh, do tell. BFF? bun-fed fish? beat furry fungi? belch for food? big flippin' fiasco? Do tell. I really, really suck at these.

wynne said...

pandy--no guilt. Please. This blog is supposed to be a happy place, a guilt-free zone. Swear all you like, no guilt, and L(unging)O(ctopi)L(inguini) only, please.

Anonymous said...

hi wynne! i feel so honored that you dedicated your post to ME! :) you are my new best friend! :) he he. and here i was worrying if i was writing tooooo much. thank you for saying that. you really brightened my day!

LMAO = laughing my adnoids off! he he

yes, blogs are a happy place to be.

come visit and see my wordless wednesday. it will make ya smile i bet. i love it when you visit, too. did you like watching sinfield when it was on?

happy happy joy joy and peace be with you and your little man tonight :) kathleen

ps. word verification reminds me of wild hogs. he he

Anonymous said...

wynne: come see my post -- it is all about YOU ... highlighting a blog that rocks (YOU) ... my personal recommendation. too fun. come see :) kathleen

BuBoNiC NATE said...

My post laden with inside jokes gave me away, doh! I hope you weren't confusing me with Flicka.

*Transforms into a lightpost*

I decided last minute I would rather be "Anonymous" rather then an "Other" since I am certainly not a "Google/Blogger". I figured leaving a little up to you would be more fun.

Then I was sidetracked by pushing the little wheelchair logo next to the "word verification" over and over and putting the demonic robot-like voices it made it to a human beatbox beat - it was like a modern version of The Beatles Rev. 9. I'm calling it "Revolution - Once Again".

Anyway... somewhere in there - my cover must have been blown. I guess I might as well make an account now. You blog-post pimp/pusher you! From "I will never post a blog" to pushing it on others in just a few short months... sheesh. ;)

I have a couple blog posts of my own at:
http://www.myspace.com/bubonicnate

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Okay, I'm so mailing Kathleen a thank you note for introducing me to your blog. Not only are you hilarious, but you're intelligent as well. I may even indulge myself in some LOL'ing (Lazily Ogling Literature).

Anonymous said...

So I have been thinking you should start up Balderdash on your blog with acronyms.

I will start...

BFF
Belching Fun Factory

We could take our kids there.

Anonymous said...

kristine, et al: good idea. here is my input.

BFF = beautiful, fabulous, and fun!

wynne: i so had to make a post about you. you are truly fun and i wanted to share ya. hope it made you smile more than it freaked you out! :)

~smiles :) kathleen

wynne said...

Whoa. Turn your back on your blog for a minute, and where did all these comments come from?

Kathleen--no, not freaked out. Flattered. I just over-exxagerate everything. We're cool.

Kristine--I think I know what BFF means now. "Beans fried [with] fish," right?

Kimberly--hey, welcome! But please, if you are going to tell me how great I am--did you read the post about my big head? *sigh* It's sore from being so huge.

Nate--Sorry about thrusting bloggerdom upon you. And...would that be Flicka, the tuna-safe dolphin? Hadn't thought about that in years...

wynne said...

Thhbbt. I hate it when I make typos in comments...can't fix. *grumble*

Anonymous said...

wynne: oh, awesome, i am glad you were flattered and not freaked out :)

glad to hear it. may you and your offspring have a BFF beautiful, fabulous, and fun weekend. tootles, kathleen :)

Christina said...

Okay...I don't even know where to start on this one
...thanks for the 9 lbs. I just lost from laughing at your blog?
...agreement with your hatred for IM initialism and how lost I was the first time I ever saw IMHO (i make hot omlettes or ink makes handwriting obvious? - possible explanations offerred by my sis-in-law)and my continued confusion after receiving it in emails from not one but TWO unrelated (academically or familiarly) professors in one week?
...fear that now you will read into all of MY punctuation and my apologies afterward, because it is NOT what I'm saying in the least?
...expressions of non-offense from the VERY mild swearing done on your blog (and secret appreciation for such - hee hee!)
...contributing my own answer for BFF - Braggart From France...or Brillo Fried Flan, mmmm?
...or just plain giving up because I simply can't decide where to begin? Sigh. I guess I'll just give up.

wynne said...

Hi christina!
I like "brillo fried flan." Tasty.

Anonymous said...

Love this post. And the picture sort of tops it off perfectly, no?

wynne said...

Welcome, CW! (Could be "compulsive writer," could be "chicken wrap.")