Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Old Love

At the end of August, I got to go somewhere I haven't been in 8 FREAKIN' YEARS! No, not the dentist, you smart alec. No, it wasn't a shower, eithermy personal hygeine is just fine, quit mocking meno, it was the Pacific Ocean.

Carpinteria, California

My heavens, I love that place.

We went somewhere off the Washington coast, some place with "Gray" in the nameand it was, too: it was overcast, and the ocean was the color of leadand quite frankly, I've never seen the color gray looking so beautiful.

It was Jake's first time digging his toes in the sand of the Pacific, and I dare say he enjoyed himself. Especially the jumping-up-and-down-and-splashing-all-passerby part.

My husband, the dear soul, does not understand why I love the ocean so much. "It's dirty, it stinks, you get sand all over you and in your food, and the water is too cold." (He just doesn't like the thought of sharing swimming space with seaweed, sand sharks, and human sewage.)

I love it because it's magic. The sound of the surf, the salty smell (as long as there are no beached seals or otherwise dead things rotting on the beach—very stinky), the vastness of so much water, and how much life it produces...and how much of that life is absolutely bizzare!

Have you ever heard of the sea cucumber, sort of like an enormous slug, that defends itself from a curious and/or hungry fish by vomiting its innards and scootin' away, leaving its digestive tract for the fish to nibble? (It regenerates its innards later.)

Or how about the starfish (or, rather, if you are going for the new fad in oceanic political correctness, "sea star"), which, in order to eat a shellfish actually pries open the shell and then injects its stomach inside the hole to digest the poor shellfish inside?

How about a "dinoflagellate?" If you are ever fortunate enough to take a walk down the beach at night, you might just look out at the breaking waves and see them GLOW a magical silvery color. Dinoflagellates are tiny lil' buggers that are capable of bioluminescence when disturbed (usually when the wave breaks). Absolutely gorgeous, and surreal to swim out in them: every stroke churns up silver light. And, of course, when there are that many of them, there is bound to be a red tide in a few days afterward that poisons all the shellfish in the area.

How about grunion? Grunion are a small silver fish that wait for a high tide at night, then whole schools of them ride the largest waves up onto the beach to spawn and lay their eggs in the sand. They have to work fast, of course, because the next big wave that comes in will take them all back out to sea. (It is, of course, a free-for-all feeding frenzy for anything that happens to be awake and hungry, because the fish, making the whole beach wriggling and silver, are rather defenseless and...er...preoccupied.) I've only seen them run once. So far.

The ocean is just awe-inspiring. I could sit and stare at it forever.

Not that Jake let me, of course. So we tried our hand at making dribble-castles* (these Jake immediately knocked over as soon as I got a decent number up), splashing in water, and keeping sand out of our picnic lunch. Oh, how I've missed the ocean!

Carpinteria again

And just because I'm feeling so sentimental about it, and because I am a big enough dork to do this**, I present you with another muska-delish bit o' poetry:

Gills and Lungs

There comes a time at twilight
when the sea
and the shore
have no difference between them.
The air is thick with water; the water
is smooth with air.
A wave cradling grunion sighs
ashore. The silvery fish flip onto the sand
in silence, and the beach is
alive with gills drinking air.
If a man swims into the water then
he would breathe the ocean.
His lungs would fill with the dark
tide and glow under his skin
until the heavens reflect him
in stars.

Carpinteria at sunset

*If you don't know what a dribble castle is...how can I describe them? You pick up a handful of the wettest sand possible, and let it dribble in a single stream out of your hand, and if it is the right consistency, it looks like this. I guess some people call them "sand trees," but those people are silly.
**Did you know only dorks write poetry and then publish it on their blogs? And I am the Queen of the Dorks, I truly am.

12 comments:

Sally Anne said...

I miss the Pacific too. You're absolutely right when you say it is magic. I can't even swim and the idea of going back to the shore fills me with joy and wonder. It's only been about five years now. *sniffles*

Amanda said...

I think I would love the beach too if I hadn't been land locked for my entire life.

Your descriptions of the sea creatures was um....inspiring and frightening at the same time. I guess the digestive mechanisms and such are simply to make life easier in the water, but ewwwwwww! The Dinoflagellates sounded intringing until you mentioned the part about the poison. Aw, man. Can't anything just be pretty and harmless?

Melissa said...

I love the ocean... but you're right. The coast in Washington and a lot of Oregon is gray. Dark and cold. It's amazing to me how different the beaches are up and down the coast.
And I like your poem! Does that make me a dork too? Cause I'm good with that... :)

Marie said...

The Oregon and Washington beaches are the ones I love. Dramatic rocks jutting out of the sand, dramatic gray clouds, and the softest sand. I'd probably like CA beaches if they weren't so polluted and overcrowded and scantily clad (the people, not the beaches). But give me the moody NW coast over CA any day!

I love your poem. Did you write that on this most recent trip to the beach? I love the idea of a person being reflected in the sky. Very pretty image.

I know exactly what a dribble castle is. We made them all the time. The Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona always makes me think of a dribble castle.

I didn't know about sea cucumbers doing that with their guts -- now they're even funnier than before!

The sea critters I most want to see in person are those scary deep sea glowing fish with the huge pointy teeth. Of course, I'd want to be safe inside my diving pod :)

I'm glad you got to go to the beach. Sometime I will join you there -- I'm due for a dip.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

That was beautiful, Wynn!

I grew up just a few blocks from the ocean. I miss it so very terribly.

Anonymous said...

hi wynne:
great to see you again. missed ya. don't say STOP. i do.

you can be a dork anytime, i love it. i am one, too, so we are in good company. my entire life (except for about less than 2 years), i have always lived near an ocean and i wouldn't have it any other way. and my alaskan ocean is sooooo beautiful, too, you must see it some day. it would take your breath away.

fun descriptions of the sea creatures. i am not even surprised that you wow'ed me with those because you are capable of anything.

all things good to you this day,
kathleen

ps. did you receive some good mail that had something to do with a nose? tee hee. i thought that was so funny, i had to share it with you.

Elizabeth-W said...

I love your post! As a child the only ocean we had was the Gulf of Mexico. And I agree 100% with your man. But, then.....I moved to Portland and my perspective changed completely.
My husband grew up in the Tillamook (Oceanside/Cape Mears) section of the Oregon coast and we try to go at least once a year. He misses it. I couldn't take the constant gray, but I do love to visit for several days at a time.
So glad you got to go feed your soul!

Anonymous said...

your description of the sea animals had made me quite leary of going in the ocean. of course I have never really been a fan of going in the ocean. i love going to the beach but whenever i am in the water i get slammed by a big wave and lose my swim suit. not fun.

wynne said...

pandy--when it's time to take George & Ringo, and when you're actually in the country again, let me know. Maybe we could meet you there.

amanda--the dinoflagellates ARE cool, unbelievably so. And basically, the poison only will get you if you EAT the shellfish (which I think is disgusting) so don't let it bug you too much. You wouldn't mind if you could see it, I promise.

melissa--you are only a dork if you want to be.

marie--you just haven't been to the right CA beaches, that's all. There are plenty of places I could tell you about that are heavy on the tidepools and rocks, and light on the people and pollution.

And no, I didn't write that poem recently. As you are aware, a blog is a great place to recycle some of your old stuff, just for the heck of it.

And lantern fish!!! What the--? My favorites are the creepy-bottom-of-the-ocean weirdos as well, but I was trying to stay mostly on the shore for this post. There is some really weird crap down on the bottom of the ocean...

kimBlee--blocks? Wow. Can I have your childhood, please? How about a trade?

kathleen--as a matter of fact, I DID get something in my mailbox, and I could really DIG it, if you know what I mean. Beware of reciprocation.

elizabeth w--have you ever done one of those "lets get together and meet all the freaks that I met through my blog" sort of things yet? Maybe we could do one at an Oregon beach. (What is better than a freak in a swimsuit, after all? If I'm going to embarrass myself and make a poor impression, I may as well go all the way and wear a swimsuit and eat a can of beans on the way there.)

kristine--you don't have to go in the water to enjoy the beach. And apparently, no one taught you how to dive under the big waves so they don't knock you over. It was one of your sisters that didn't teach you this, wasn't it? Probably that rotten Janeen...

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I learned a lot about the ocean from Spongebob Squarepants.......but now I know even more courtesy of a Muskadillo. Thanks!

We have the Gulf Of Mexico at Galveston-A place so filthy that it permanently stains your bathing suit while swimming in it.

wynne said...

elastic--what is with you and that spongebob? Do you secretly dream of living in a pineapple under the sea?

Anonymous said...

wynne dear:
your "meet the freaks" luncheon idea cracked me up!

and you so totally rock to the millionith power. what a sweet awesome good mail care package you sent me today. you made me smile. you made me laugh. the things you picked out for me ... wow, you know who i am. thank you so much for this surprise today of all days.

crazy about you friend,
kathleen

ps. and i gotta tell you, i am giggling aloud right now because word verification looks so much like "popping zits." hahahahha can you just imagine seeing that in your word verification. see, even it knew i needed joyful laughter tonight :)