Sunday, September 23, 2007


THE CONTEST IS OVER! Click here to see the winners.

Original post as follows:

The point of this contest is to write something...Halloweenie. I suppose I can give you some examples...let's see.... One fairly easy thing to do is take something that already exists and change it a bit. Like a nursery rhyme:

Mary had some leprosy, leprosy, leprosy
Mary had some leprosy
Her sores were white as snow

Every time that Mary tripped, Mary tripped, Mary tripped
Every time that Mary tripped,

Off would fall a toe
Or you could try a Halloween haiku, a limerick, original free verse, prose, fiction, a leprosy-rich perversion of the the Beatles "Yesterday" (I hope you're reading, Marie)whatever floats your ghost. You can send it through the comments for others to enjoy, or you may email me your entry at muskadillo at hotmail dot com.

The winner will get a special Halloween package in the mail. From me. And it might even be worth getting, but then again, no, not really. But at least you'll be getting mail, right? Anonymous entries accepted, though if you win, you'll have to 'fess up sooner or later if you want your prize.

Contest ends at midnight, October 15th*!

*No, not really. I won't be staying up that late. But I'm not going to accept anything sent on or after the 16th, okay? The prize package needs to be there by Halloween, see.

17 comments:

Jean Knee said...

verry intriguing, must give it some thought.

Anonymous said...

wynne:
you are such a riot! i am laughing still from reading your mary had a little lamb and lost a leprosy toe song. you are hilarious.

so enjoy you,
kathleen :)

ps. come over and enter my free giveaway on my sat 22sep post. i know you want to :)

Carrot Jello said...

Mary had some leprosy, leprosy, leprosy
Mary had some leprosy
Her sores were white as snow
Um...ew.

wynne said...

There's more to it if you want to hear it, Carrot. It only gets worse.

Lisa said...

Tal.Ent! Love it!

Anonymous said...

i want to hear it. tell us more!

Sally Anne said...

Boo!

I'm so in!!

Halloween is the best. I am starting my decorating this week. In fact, Sparky is off buying plastic spiders for me right now- not that I don't have the real kind, but he is so terrified of them that we have to have spider poison in hip holsters at all times...

I also guess it is time to display a wedding picture on my blog again.

Anonymous said...

Mary had some leprosy...HA!! You made me laugh!!

Marie said...

More leprosy, please!

Amanda said...

If I had, say one little creative bone in my body I might be able to enter your very intriguing contests. I'll have to think about it...

Mary had some leprosy....that is really gross!

wynne said...

Please enter, enter, enter! Who needs creative bones, amanda? All you need are BONES!

And no, no more leprosy until this contest is finished. Really, it just gets more disgusting, and it's not all that great.

Unknown said...

My kids love the pumpkin carving link. Thank you.

Marie said...

Okay, here's an entry. Since you titled this contest *Literary* Mutations, I thought I'd mangle some Robert Frost:


Stopping by the Dungeon on a Full-Mooned Midnight

Whose moans those are I think I know
He's strapped upon the rack, and so
He will not see me pausing here
While my back hair begins to grow.

My boyfriend, he must think it queer
To see the tufts upon my ear
He thinks this dungeon is a fake
A place to stir romantic fear.

But to this castle by the lake
I asked to go just for the sake
Of breaking up with Lying Creep
And then I'll eat some boyfriend steak

The forest's murky, dark, and deep
But I have havoc still to wreak
And wiles to try before I leap
Then miles to drive home in his jeep.




Okay, guys -- surely one of you loonies can outdo that miserable bit of nonsense....

sharonsfriendjen said...

Baa Baa Grim Reaper,
Have you any souls?
Yes sir, yes sir,
Three bags full;

One for my master,
one for my dame,
and one for my mummy
that lives on my lane.

Anonymous said...

Love it!!!! This is Sharon.

Here's a little alteration on Shakespeare:

Sonnet

Shall I compare thee to a Hallow's 'een?
Thou are more creepy and more fully decked.
Sunny days do break the darkning skies so mean
And autumn's geese by vultures all be pecked.

Sometime too hot the wench or bunny dress,
And often is her caked complexion trite,
And every hair, so like a Playboy tress,
By chance? or year-long planning for this night?

But thy infernal ghoulishness shall reign,
Nor lose obsession, thou wouldst never do,
For Death and Gore are fibers of thy mane,
And in eternal hauntings, thou art true.

So long as men can scream, and wounds can bleed
So long lives Wynne, and she has done her deed.

Anonymous said...

This is Sharon again...

For further elaboration on second stanza of Sonnet above, please refer to the Halloween party scene in Mean Girls.

April said...

Wowza! I can't compete with mutated Frost and Shakespeare! But here's my paltry spooky nursery rhyme anyway:

Jack and Jill crept up the hill
to steal the banker's daughter.
The banker wouldn't pay
so Jack let her pray
as Jill held the girl under water.